Below are the STOTT PILATES upcoming training courses and workshops being held at Symmetry Pilates Center, taught by STOTT Instructor Trainer and physical therapist, Cheryl Alden. One-on-one instructor training time can be scheduled with Cheryl upon request.
The Shoulder Girdle: Equipment programming for stability and function
Sunday March 29th 10am – 2pm
Postponed: new date and time TBD
The shoulder girdle is a complex structure that is subjected to stresses in everyday life and even more stress during extreme activities. In this lecture/demo-style workshop developed by the Merrithew™ team, discover how Pilates programming on the Reformer can be ideal in a post-rehabilitative setting. First, explore the anatomy and biomechanics involved in the normal, healthy functioning of the shoulder girdle, then, discuss common abnormal or dysfunctional movement patterns that can result from injury or strain. Finally, learn how specially selected exercises on the Reformer can address these issues by creating awareness, stability and strength.
Exercises are layered to restore functional mobility, then progress to work-hardening activities and performance enhancement.
- Understand optimal function and movement patterns of shoulder girdle
- Understand common dysfunctions
- Review anatomy and muscular involvement
- Learn exercises and progressions on the Reformer to optimize shoulder girdle function
Cueing and modifications on the reformer for a client with postural issues
Friday April 17th 2pm – 4pm
Postponed: new date and time TBD
Clients with specific postural issues require specialized programming to effectively realign the skeleton and re-balance muscles. This lecture / demo, developed by the Merrithew™ team, reviews exercises from the Essential Reformer repertoire and explores how these movements can be modified for each individual. Specific postural habits are discussed with particular focus paid to muscular imbalances associated with aspects of the following postures: kyphosis-lordosis, sway back and flat back. How to recognize and target lengthened, weak, shortened or tight muscles due to postural habits, what exercises to select and appropriate cues and modifications are also examined.
- Recognize basic postural characteristics and identify muscular imbalances present in each.
- Understand how selected STOTT PILATES® Reformer exercises target specific muscle groups to begin rebalancing them.
- Understand how specific modifications increase effectiveness and safety for individual clients.
- Learn how the Five Basic Principles of STOTT PILATES serve as the foundation for correcting postural imbalances
Athletic conditioning on the V2Max plus reformer level 1
Friday June 5th 1:30pm – 3:30pm
Cancelled. New date TBD
Learn to take your clients’ game to the next level in this sports conditioning workshop, developed by the Merrithew™ team. Improve strength, power and agility through new variations of familiar exercises that challenge unilateral movement, weight transference and core stability. This workshop has a special focus on the core, arms, legs, shoulders and hips as well as rotation. Learn a format on the Reformer perfect for your sports enthusiast clients and athletes of all levels.
- Apply the Five Basic Principles of STOTT PILATES to modified exercises on the Reformer.
- Challenge clients muscular system and build endurance.
- Challenge abdominal stability and strengthen upper and lower body.
- Understand how specific exercises can address the needs of athletic conditioning.
All instructors are certified and dedicated
to helping you meet your fitness goals